Overview Just downloaded a reel-to-reel tape and the audio sounds like chipmunks. The tape was downloaded at a speed that was too fast. Our Akai unit can play tapes at 3 3/4 or 7 1/2 speeds. If a tape was recorded at 1 7/8 speed then 3 3/4 speed would be too fast.
Tape speeds can be 1 7/8 or 3 3/4 or 7 1/2. Note that each speed is just double the previous speed.
So, let's say we've downloaded a tape recorded at 1 7/8 at a speed of 3 3/4 (the lowest speed our unit can do).
- Load the audio file on the timeline in Vegas pro.
- Right click on the audio track and select properties.
- Select "Time stretch / pitch shift" Method:
- select either "elastique" or "classic"....not sure of the difference
- change the new length...double it
- check the box next to "Pitch change"
To Half the Speed
In the case of capturing the Reel-to-reel at 7 1/2 and the real speed should be 3 3/4...we need to half the speed of the captured audio track.
Under properties, under the Pitch Change select the box and enter -12.000