- Make sure that the component cables (3) and XLR cables (2) are connected to the breakout box. The cables should all be labelled PVW2800 for Betacam processing or U-Matic for U-Matic tape processing.
- Open Machina:
- Under the "Setup" tab, select the audio and video folders to capture into. These folders can be the same especially if the A/V file captures into one file.
- Set the following under the "Capture" tab and the "File Options" section (to the right of the preview pane)
- File Type: MOV Movie
- Video/Audio: Video - Audio
- Video Subtype: 8-bit YUV 4:2:2 '2vuy'
- Audio Subtype: 48Hz 32-bit PCM Stereo
- The file resulting from the above configuration will work for both PC and MAC environments. There are many other options that work in some cases, but this is the only one that works for both PC and MAC.
- Below the Machina preview pane on the left, make sure the tab is "capture now". Click the red record button.
- Start the VCR ... push "Play"
- when the capture is done, click the red record button to stop the capture.
Issues with Capture Using Vegas
Unfortunately, Sony Vegas cannot be used to capture the footage from the AJA Kona LHe card as there is a bug in the Vegas software. One can select the capture /sdi options and the AJA card, but the resulting file will be missing the audio. I contact Sony support and they acknowledged the bug and said it would be fixed in a future release/build. Last build I checked the problem was ver 12.0 build 394 (Nov 6, 2012).
Table of Codecs And Results
The following table tests Machina's various codecs on a PC and their compatibility with a MAC. Note that VLC was not tested on the PC as I figured the results would be similar to the MAC. "WinMP" is Windows 7 Media player.
Legend: A - audio only, V - video only, Y - both audio and video.
|Testing Machina codecs for MAC|
|8bit RGB apple||mov||8||A||A||A||Y||A|
|8bit RGBA 444||mov||8||444||A||A||A||Y||A|
|10bit RGB full A||mov||Log RGB||10||444||A||A||A||Y||A|
|10bit RGB full A||avi||Log RGB||10||444||N||N||N||V||V|
|10bit RGB full B||mov||Log RGB||10||444||A||A||A||Y||A|
|10bit RGB full B||avi||Log RGB||10||444||N||N||N||V||V|
|10bit RGB log||mov||Log RGB||10||444||A||A||A||Y||A|
|10bit RGB log||avi||Log RGB||10||444||N||N||N||V||V|
|10bit RGB smpte A||mov||10||A||A||A||Y||A|
|10bit RGB smpte B||mov||10||A||A||A||Y||A|